Saturday, June 17, 2017

Soaping Again

It feels like it's been forever since I last made soap. In reality, it's only been a couple of months since making a batch for a challenge on the Soapmaking Forum but, still, it feels like a long time.

This week, I received a phone call from a friend, giving me a heads up that she will soon be out of one of her favourite soaps (and mine), Salt Soap. After explaining that I'm all out and that it would take about six weeks before I would be able to sell it to her, she was very understanding and did let me know that she was down to one bar. That should suffice until the new batch is ready.

And so, today is soaping day. The Salt Soap is already in the molds; some time tomorrow, it should be ready to unmold and then the cure begins. This soap really does benefit from a longer than normal cure. Most soaps are ready to use (not necessarily at their prime) by about 4-6 weeks. I know of people who have left their salt bars for six months to two years before using them and they rave about the soap.


As I'm on my last bar, as well, I'm glad my friend called. I use it daily as a face soap and love it!

The other soap I've had a request for is my Tooth Soap, a peanut oil based soap that contains xylitol, activated charcoal, calcium carbonate, as well as peppermint and anise oils. Surprisingly, the request came from my neighbour's son, a young man in his early 30's. He told me he loves it and some of his friends would like to try it as well.


The Tooth Soap bars are small bars, about 1 oz. each (I suppose I could have made a bigger batch... next time). One bar lasts me about four months, with daily use; I only use it at night, though. In the morning, I use regular toothpaste but I find minty toothpastes too strong to use at night. They burn my mouth and the flavour tends to be a stimulant; I don't find that with tooth soap. And, trust me, it's nothing like having your mouth washed out with soap for swearing. Honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment