Monday, November 16, 2015

Soapy Goodness!

It's been a busy and emotional weekend. As a family, we're waiting for news of my grandson, when his funeral will be held. In the meantime, around here, it's "Keep Calm and Soap On". I have an order for five bars of the Java Jumpstart soap for Christmas so I needed to get on that right quick. Christmas is just around the corner and soap needs a minimum of four weeks to cure.

My soap curing room (aka the spare bedroom) smells amazing - a blend of orange, cinnamon, clove, ginger, and patchouli. It really does smell good!

A week or so ago, I received a package from an online friend from California. In it were three luffas, along with some seeds, luffa and a variety of others. Yesterday, I bleached and cleaned the luffas and, after letting them dry out a bit, made Luffa (or Loofah) Soap.

I made these in my silicone mold; there are eight in total with two small bars of leftover soap. The recipe is based on one I found online.

Loofah (Luffa) Soap

25% Coconut oil
25% Beef Tallow
20% Olive oil pomace
10% Palm oil
10% Castor oil
10% Hemp oil

Superfat at 5% with water as 33% of oil weight or a lye concentration of 30%

I added 1 tbsp. of honey to my oils and added 1 tsp. sodium lactate to the lye water.

My 500 gram batch is lightly scented with 50 drops of Rose Geranium essential oil.

At light trace, the batter was poured over the moist luffa in the silicone molds.

Above is the full batch, with the two small extra bars at the right. At the moment, the soap is fairly soft but I think it will firm up quite nicely. I'm kind of excited to try Loofah Soap.. can't say I ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment